Monday, August 2, 2010

Let Puerto Rican flavor run thru you..

Miss me? Ive been gone since Thursday, didnt do much cooking until Sunday. On Saturday, me and Bobby went to Sazon. Lets start from the beginning. So i met up with Bobby in the city because we originally were going to The Frying Pan. Little did we know #1 after 5 on a Saturday, it gets insane! and #2 its not as stationary as it looks. The Frying Pan is a boat thats docked that they turned into a waterfront bar and grill. The view is supposed to be pretty incredible especially during sunset, however, we didnt make it close to sunset at all. Im extremely sensitive to motion sickness so as soon as we found a table and we sat down, i felt movement, wavy movement. I told Bobby we had to run out of there as fast as we could before i got sick. He agreed, he felt the boat-a-rockin and he was NOT loving it. Dont get me wrong its a nice idea and all but since after all it is JUST a boat, you feel the rocking so much more than you would a bigger boat. I dont know how people can eat let alone get drunk on a boat! Me and Bobby are suckers for punishment though so were going to give this place another shot before the summers over and maybe on a weekday in the afternoon.

105 Reade Street NY 10013 - (212)406-1900
www.sazonnyc.com


So with that we had to think of something else. We decided on Sazon. Ive been to Sazon on my birthday this year and i loved it. The service is great, the food is amazing and the atmosphere is sultry, sexy, latin awesomeness. I wanted to get the same thing i got last time because i was so impressed with how much it tasted like my mothers cooking, i knew it wouldnt let me down. I ordered a piƱa colada but instead of rum it was disaronno. Let me just say, who ever thought of that combination should get an award of excellence because that drink is SOOO GOOD! I definitely couldve kept drinking those because it didnt taste like it had liquor in it, you taste the disaronno but you dont taste that alcohol taste, which is good and bad. Good because you dont have the taste of alcohol, bad because you DONT taste the alcohol! Definitely a drink that will sneak up on you. Appetizers were Mini Piononos - sweet plantains stuffed with beef picadillo, i remember the time my mother made this but a bigger version of course and its a perfect combination of flavors, everything is great with a platano! Bobby's dinner was Pernil - roast pork with pigeon pea rice and sweet plantains. OMG, forgot to mention, portion sizes here for dinner are pretty large and i mean LARGE; Bobby got half a pig on his plate! I ordered Ropa Vieja - shredded beef stew with black bean rice and sweet plantains. If i was fed this for all my life id die a happy lady. The beef is so tender and so well seasoned, its like my mother or grandmother is in the kitchen back there cooking up a storm. It tasted so homey and with the black beans and rice, its a complete happy time plate for me. Bobby loved his pernil, it was far from dry and far from bland. Two amazing CLASSIC latin dishes that not all restaurants that serve it can nail it like Sazon does.





They deserve higher than a 10 in my eyes..


No comments:

Post a Comment